YIELD: Approx 12 Servings
* 6 egg yolks
* 1 1/4 cups white sugar
* 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
* 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
* 2 (3 ounce) packages lady fingers (approx 24 lady fingers total) Or use recipe here
* 1/3 cup Kahlua
* 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (dust)
* 1 (1 ounce) square semi sweet chocolate (shaved)
First, chill the bowl that you will use to whip the heavy whipping cream. 15 minutes in the freezer should do the trick!
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, boil water and place another pan on top.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir the egg yolks and sugar for about 10 minutes and don’t go anywhere! This is to heat the egg so that you are not eating raw eggs. The yolk will not cook hard. That’s not the goal. This is just coddling.
- After 10 minutes of stirring remove the mixture from heat. Let it cool for a bit and then take a beater and whip the yolk/sugar mixture until its thick.
- Add the mascarpone to the whipped yolk-sugar mixture.
- Blend well.
- Take your chilled bowl out of fridge. Whip the whipping cream until the stiff peaks are formed.
- Gently fold into yolk-sugar mixture and set aside.
- Split the lady fingers in half.
- Line the bottom and sides of your serving bowl with the lady fingers.
- Brush the lady fingers with the kahlua (see substitutions).
- Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers.
- Now you are going to layer – using lady fingers, kahlua and filling.
- Keep going till you run out of lady fingers. (Click here for the Lady Fingers Recipe if you aren’t using store bought)
- The top layer of filling is finished off with cocoa or chocolate curls. (Or both!)
- Total time to make this (not including the Lady Fingers if you bake them) would take you about 30 minutes.
BIG TIP: Refrigerate several hours or overnight! (Really)
***See more here ***