YIELD: Yield: Enough Lady fingers to make the best tiramisu recipe. (Yes, shameless self promotion.)
* 5 egg whites
* 4 egg yolks
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1 dash vanilla
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Separate eggs into two separate bowls .
- Beat egg whites on high speed until foamy.
- Add two tablespoons of the 2/3 cup of sugar to the egg whites.
- Continue to beat until stiff peaks form, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add vanilla and remainder of the sugar to the egg yolks and beat.
- Set it aside.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Fold half of the egg whites into the yolks. Do it real gently.
- Fold the flour mixture into the yolks.
- Fold the rest of the egg whites into the yolks.
- Put the batter into a pastry bag. ( I use a a ziploc bag with the corner snipped off.)
- Pipe the batter onto a greased cookie sheet.
NOTE: Traditionally they are shaped like two lady sized fingers. But they are going to be layered and covered. It really doesn’t matter.
* Bake for about 6 minutes . Stay close because all you want is the edges to turn brown.